Studies have shown that the arts provide lifetime benefits and are unsurpassed in their ability to engage students in learning and empower them to make a change in our world.
ArtsOC is a proud and vigorous advocate for arts education. We partner with local, state and national organizations that include the Orange County Department of Education, the California Alliance for Arts Education and CreateCA to ensure arts education programs remain strong in our schools and to connect children, especially from underserved communities, with the arts.
Education Resource Directory
The following are links to arts education associations, foundations, and other arts resources of interest to educators.
- American Choral Directors Association - https://acda.org
- Arts Resource Center - https://teachingartistsguild.org/resources-new/
- California Alliance for Arts Education - www.artsed411.org
- California Art Education Association - www.caea-arteducation.org
- California Arts Council - https://arts.ca.gov/
- California Association For Music Education - www.calmusiced.com
- The California County Superintendents Educational Services Association Arts Initiative - https://ccsesaarts.org/
- California Dance Educators Association - www.cdeadance.org
- California Department of Education - https://www.cde.ca.gov/
- California Education Theatre Organizations - http://cetoweb.org/
- CA State PTA's SMARTS program - https://capta.org/programs-events/school-smarts/
- California Subject Matter Project - https://csmp.online/
- Digital Learning Resources from the Kennedy Center (formerly Arts Edge) - https://www.kennedy-center.org/education/resources-for-educators/classroom-resources/
- Getty Foundation - www.getty.edu/artsednet
- New Music Education Resource - www.musicfriends.org
- Orange County Cappies -https://ocde.us/EducationalServices/STEMandHumanities/ArtsAdvantage/Pages/Orange-County-Cappies.aspx
- Orange County Department of Education - www.ocde.us
- Orange County Lingual Institute - https://www.oclanguages.com
- Orange County Music and Arts Administrators - https://ocde.us/EducationalServices/STEMandHumanities/ArtsAdvantage/Pages/Orange-County-Music-and-Arts-Administrators.aspx
- OCDE VAPA Homepage with online/distance learning resources - https://ocde.us/EducationalServices/STEMandHumanities/ArtsAdvantage/Pages/default.aspx
- OCDE VAPA Parents' Guide -http://downloads.capta.org/arts/VAPAGuide_FULL.pdf
- Parents’ Guide to the Visual and Performing Arts in California Public Schools - Arts Education | California State PTA
- SCFTA Arts Teach -https://www.scfta.org/Arts-Teach/Home.aspx
- Southern California Vocal Association - www.scvachoral.org
- Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association - www.scsboa.org
- VSA Orange County - https://ocde.us/VSA/Pages/default.aspx
Arts Now Parent Advocate Program
ArtsOC, in partnership with the California Alliance for Arts Education and the Orange County Department of Education, works to sustain Orange County as an Arts Now community.
(From the CAAE webpage) The Arts Now Campaign, launched by the California Alliance for Arts Education, shines a light on districts and counties that are working to improve the quality of students’ educations through investments in the arts and encourages other districts to do the same. Our goal is to establish the expectation that every district is responsible for providing their students with a high quality, comprehensive education that includes a robust arts program, complete with instruction by credentialed arts teachers as well as arts integration strategies implemented across the curriculum.
Arts Now Objectives:
- Support the development of district and county arts plans
- Provide education about how districts can use arts strategies to improve outcomes for low incomes students through LCFF and the Title I program
- Empower community members to advocate for arts education through Arts Now Communities
- Promote student voices in school decision-making and arts education advocacy